December 03, 2016
Today, I am excited to share the recipe to make the most traditional French chocolate mousse. This recipe can also be found in any Nestle Dessert Chocolate bar; it is the chocolate bar that everybody uses to bake in France and their recipe does not need any modifications. It is just that good! I made it for Thanksgiving last week and everybody loved it; we didn't even have any leftover.
Whenever I see chocolate mousse on a restaurant's menu, I usually try it but tend to be disappointed. They are usually too creamy and too heavy... This mousse does not contain any cream and the lightness is given solely through whisking egg whites until stiff and slowly incorporating them into the melted chocolate.
Ingredients (for 6 people)1 Nestle Dessert baking chocolate bar6 eggs1/2 teaspoon, salt
1. Melt the chocolate slowly on the stove. Remove from the heat source and wait about 5 min for the chocolate to cool down.
2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
3. Incorporate the egg yolks into the melted chocolate and mix quickly with a wooden spoon.
4. In another bowl, add a pinch of salt and beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Make sure to flip the bowl to check the egg whites' stiffness. When making chocolate mousse, it is important that your egg whites are stiff enough or your mousse will be too creamy.
5. Add about 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Use a spatula to slowly incorporate the egg whites to the chocolate using a slow fold-in motion from the bottom of the bowl to the top.
6. Progressively add the rest of the egg whites and continue to use a slow, fold-in motion until the mixture is homogeneous.
7. You can either split the mousse into individual bowls (I like to use white ramequins like in France, but any container will do!), or use a large one.
8. Place all the containers with the mousse in your fridge for at least 3 hours for the mousse to form.
9. Remove the mousse from the fridge when ready to be served!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It's one of my favorite desserts and I love that it requires so little ingredients.
Want to save 10%?
Join our newsletter & receive a 10% off code right away!