September 26, 2017
Before the lava cake became popular, the chocolate soufflé was one of France's most traditional desserts. While preparing it is quick and easy, the difficulty lies in its "a la minute" baking style. You can prepare the souffle ahead of time, but you will have to bake it right before you'd like to serve it to your guests. It will also only stay "soufflé" (puffy) for only a couple of minutes before it comes down to its normal size so you wouldn't want to let this dessert sit on the kitchen counter. However, this shouldn't deter you from making it at home; it doesn't require a lot of ingredients and is delicious!
This recipe is from the "Larousse du Chocolat" by Pierre Hermé. One of the precious cookbooks that has been with me in the U.S. for the past 10 years :)
Ingredients (for 4 soufflés)1/2 cup, sugar6.3 oz, Nestlé dessert baking chocolate1/2 cup, whole milk5 eggs
1. Butter 4 ramequins and sprinkle sugar over the butter so that the soufflé does not stick. Place the ramequins in your fridge while you continue the recipe.
2. Turn on your oven to 400F.
3. Slowly melt the chocolate in a pot. In another pot, bring the milk to a boil and remove it from the heat source as soon as it starts boiling. Pour the melted chocolate over the boiled milk slowly and stir until the mix is homogeneous.
4. Separate the egg yolks and the whites. The yolks can be directly placed into the chocolate + milk mix while whisking swiftly, and place the egg whites in another bowl.
5. Beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Once the egg whites are almost fully stiff, slowly incorporate the sugar and continue to mix.
6. Start to add your egg whites to the chocolate, starting with about 1/3 egg whites. Stir very slowly in order to barely incorporate the whites. Continue to add the rest of the egg whites + sugar mix.
7. Take out the ramequins from the fridge and add the batter - to only about 2/3 of the ramequin so that the soufflé has the space to expand!
8. Place in your oven for 12 min.
9. All done. Serve immediately to have the best visual of your perfect soufflé!
Want to save 10%?
Join our newsletter & receive a 10% off code right away!