October 10, 2017
This recipe is the epitome of a traditional French chocolate cake. A gâteau au chocolat is rich and soft with a crispy crust that forms slowly in the oven. It isn't overly sweet or buttery because it does not have frosting. Only 5 ingredients and about 20 min of prep time are all you need to celebrate a birthday just like in France.
I've never met anyone who didn't like this cake! It's the dessert that you would find at every birthday party growing up. And what's even better is that kids and adults equally love this delicious dessert.
If you'd like to try this cake but worried about the steps, you can watch Noémie making it step by step in our video series.
IngredientsA full Nestle Dessert Baking Chocolate Bar (7oz/200g)1 cup (200g), fine sugar2/3 cup (100g), Francine flour (cake flour or self-rising flour)9/10 stick (100g), unsalted butter4 eggs
Before starting, preheat oven to 350F.1. Melt the chocolate and butter together on the stove over medium heat.
2. Remove pot from heat, and add in the sugar. Stir until the sugar is well blended in.
3. Add in the flour and stir in until the mix is homogeneous.
4. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites. Place the egg whites in a large bowl and the egg yolks can be placed in a small bowl.
5. Add in the egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and stir in quickly.6. Beat the egg whites with a hand mixer or a Kitchen Aid until they are stiff. The egg whites are ready once they form stiff ridges.
7. Slowly add the egg whites to the chocolate mixture with a gentle motion until the batter is homogeneous.
8. Butter and flour a round cake tin, and place the batter into the tin.
9. Bake the cake for about 35min. You can check if the cake is ready by inserting a knife at its thickest point. If the knife comes out clean, it's ready!10. Use 2 plates to flip the cake out from its pan. It should be easy, but if it's stuck use a knife to detach the edges, and try flipping it again!11. Bon appétit! This cake is delicious served by itself or with vanilla ice cream.
Want to save 10%?
Join our newsletter & receive a 10% off code right away!