March 31, 2017
I wanted to introduce you today to one of the most traditional French cakes. It is usually seen as a cake for kids (but is just as delicious for adults) and can be eaten either as breakfast or as an afternoon snack. The recipe itself only has 3 ingredients. You can then choose how to fill your cake. I am a big fan of raspberry jam so this is what I choose, but you can choose any type of jam, Milk Jam, lemon curd, or even Nutella!
Ingredients4 eggs120g, sugar120g, Francine flour
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
3. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until the mix whitens, and progressively add the flour.
4. In another bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they become stiff. Once ready, add the egg whites to the other bowl, and slowly mix until the batter is homogeneous.
5. Spread the batter onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 12-15 min. Check the cake around the 12th minute. If when pressing, your fingerprint disappears, the cake is ready! If not, bake the cake an additional couple of minutes.
7. Before you take out the cake from the oven, prepare a damp kitchen towel and lay it over your counter.
8. Once the cake is ready, place the cake and its parchment paper over the damp kitchen towel.
9. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of your cake. From top to bottom, you should now have parchment paper + cake (and its stuck parchment paper) + damp kitchen towel
10. Take all these elements in your hands and roll them together. Once rolled, hold it for 20 seconds so that the cake can moisten from the kitchen towel.
11. Unroll it slowly and do the same thing again. Your cake should start to detach from its parchment paper. If this does not work, make sure to dampen the towel even more and repeat these steps.
12. Once the cake is completely detached from its parchment paper, fill it with anything you'd like. Once it is filled, roll it slowly to its final shape and put saran wrap (or aluminum foil) over it to hold its shape. Place it in the fridge for ~1hr. This last step will make sure your cake keeps its shape :)
Voila! I know this may seem like many steps but it's actually quite easy and with so few necessary ingredients, it's a cake that's always easy to make with staples from your pantry.