June 28, 2017
French people love pies in summer. They can usually be found on the table for lunch or dinner, accompanied with a side salad. They're quite easy to make; all you need is fresh & flavorful fruits or vegetables. My mom used to make this pie when we had extra tomatoes on hand in the summer. It’s very quick to make and is quite healthy (no butter here!). To make this dish even simpler to make, I am using a pie crust from Trader Joes. Make sure to take out the pie crust from the freezer about 1.5 hours before you’d like to start cooking.
Ingredients (for 6 people as a side dish or 4 people as a main dish)1 Trader Joe’s pie crust (can be found in the freezer section year-round)2 or 3 large beefsteak tomatoesAmora Dijon MustardSalt & pepper 1. Take out the pie crust from the freezer 1.5 hours before you’d like to use it.
2. Preheat the oven to 450F.
3. Put the pie crust in a pie dish. Pies tend to stick to the dish I have so I use parchment paper and set the pie crust over it, but that may not be necessary for you.
4. Use a fork to prick holes in the dough. This allows the steam to get out (and the pie crust to stay intact and not break) while we pre-bake the dough. Place the pie crush in the oven for 5 min for pre-baking.
5. In the meantime, wash and cut your tomatoes in thin slices. I like to use beefsteak tomatoes for their delicious flavors.
6. After the crust has been pre-baked, put mustard all over the pie. You shouldn’t see any crust without mustard. But don’t overdo-it, remember that this traditional French mustard is quite strong; about 2-3 tablespoons should be the right amount. Too little and your pie may be bland though!
7. Place the tomatoes all over the mustard. Pile them high! No need to be perfect about it. It adds a little rustic style anyway. Add salt & pepper based on your personal preferences.
8. Bake the pie for 20 min uncovered. After the 20 min have passed, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the pie, and bake for an additional 5 min.
9. That’s it! Let the pie sit for about 15-20 min before cutting it & serving it. This tomato & mustard pie is delicious with some arugula salad & balsamic glaze on the side.
July 13, 2017
I made this and it turned out a bit soggy bottomed due to all the moisture in the tomatoes. What do you do about that? It tasted good, though. :-) Thanks.
July 07, 2017
@Marouane Pies are so good :) My favorite pies are strawberry & raspberry. And not technically a “pie”, but lemon tartlets are delicious too!
@Julie Oui! Tellement simple et super bonne!
July 06, 2017
La recette du champion! Je fais la même, et je rajoute du parmesan dessus! Un régal!!
I love pies in summer too :)
Want to save 10%?
Join our newsletter & receive a 10% off code right away!